Handing in my essay hot off the printer was a personal triumph against technology (aka comp) and I had a huge smile on my face. My prof probably thought I was deranged to be so happy about homework. The lecture today was quite interesting and I took notes diligently. Next week we will be watching a movie and Im quite excited about this. It was so beautiful out that Fiona, Annelies and I had lunch outside; granted it was with our coats on.
In truth, I actually missed the deadline for applying for the Buddy Program but here is where knowing the organizer (David from Canada ) really helps. He signed me up for it the night before. Pretty fabulous.
A group of us went for supper at Maria's before the kick-off. The combination of good food and good company sparked up some great conversations so before we knew it, it was 6pm (the time that the kick-off started) and we all had the OOPS expression on our faces. We got to the kick-off location, Jalo, just before my name was called to go join my group. Sometimes I wonder how everything turns out so perfectly when the odds are next to none. :)
I was grouped with a lovely bunch of ladies: Aude from Belgium, Anna and Jagoda from Poland, Maria from Russia, and another Maria from Finland. We played some ice breaker games and chipped away every last bit of it because by the end of the kick-off we were all very friendly towards each other. We chose "The Rolling Chocolates" as our group name with the motto of "Don't get in our way or we'll roll right over you."
Logan and the other Jane from the U of A invited me for a late supper at Maria's (guess how many times I've been there in total), and I agreed when I realized I haven't spent any time with these kids that are from Edmonton. It's so easy to get caught up with the international element of an exchange.
The waitress at Maria's recognized me from 3 hours ago and I got free coffee without having to order anything because I mean come on, this is my second time here TODAY. It was a lovely to chat with all of them, I've gotten used to talking slowly, in simple sentences and without any slang with my international friends that I motormouthed my way through this part of the evening. It was strange to be understood without making an effort. Sometimes I think I take language and communication for granted.
A stroll through downtown and university area was the cherry on top of a fantastic day.
| The Rolling Chocolates From left: Maria (Finland, Maria (Russia), Anna, moi, Jagoda, and Aude |
| Projected compass at the heart of Jyvaskyla |
| University campus at night |
| Me at night - still as vibrant as ever |
No comments:
Post a Comment