Yahoo! My very first international guest was due to arrive sometime in the afternoon. Maja Zimmerman, a high school friend that is studying in Norway at the moment, had a week free from classes and decided to make the trip to come visit little old me in a neighboring Nordic country.
I knew that her flight came into helsinki at 9 am but I wasn't sure when her train would be arriving in Jyvaskyla. We agreed that Maja would call me when she found out what time her train is and I was naturally edgy all day, waiting for my phone to ring. Lunchtime went by without a call and I went into my Sport in Finland lecture. Somehow, my gut was telling me that she would call in the middle of it and lo and behold, she did! I didn't want the call to disconnect after too many rings so I answered it WHILE walking out of class. Yet the lecturer didn't even blink an eye let alone say something. I would never get away with something like that in Edmonton or probably anywhere in North America. Answering that call was justified by the sound of Maja's voice on the other line; she was in town! We arranged to meet the university library after my lecture. After 15 minutes of waiting past the arranged time, I got quite nervous. Maja didn't have a cell phone so I couldn't reach her. so I waited. Was I ever happy to see the long-awaited Maja bounce down the library stairs. We celebrated by going to SpiceIce with Paivi and her two guests from Germany. Sitting in a coffee shop with friends and chatting over some coffee was the perfect introduction to what life was like in Finland.
We are fortunate as students to have some second-hand shops in town and we showed the visiting girls one of them. Everyone found something to their liking as it always seems to happen when girls are combined with shops. We had dinner at Maria's with Reinier tonight. No visit to Jyvaskyla is complete without going to Maria's.
Before turning in for the night after an exciting day, we went on a night excursion of the city center although it wasn't the best representation as everything was closed on a Monday night.
 |
| Having coffee and ice cream at SiceIce in city center |
 |
| maja was pretty impressed with the number of bikes we have here as much as I was when I first arrived |
 |
| exploring a local second hand shop |
 |
| Maja at the heart of Jyvaskyla |
 |
| night adventure |
 |
| om nom nom |
 |
| my delicious (and expensive :() cappuccino and brownie |
 |
| a shirt that i giggled at. It says - New shoes always hurtS, but they make me feel good. I can see what they were trying to do with this one but it just didn't work out grammatically. |
No comments:
Post a Comment