Friday, October 15, 2010

Saturday October 9 - Stefan's 25th birthday

"25. That's a quarter of a century; makes a girl think."
- Marilyn Monroe as Sugar from Some Like it Hot

For a country that operates 90% on volunteer work, the theater industry in Jyvaskyla was surprisingly hesitant in accepting an able-bodied volunteer such as myself. After emailing the coordinator and biking all the way to campus for the interview and selection process, the backstage door of Studio Theater creaked open after what seemed like many kicks at it. The Studio theater in Jyvaskyla puts on about a 3rd of the number of shows that the Studio Theater at the U of A does which made me very proud to be a part of the team back home. I have yet to see a show (I've got my eye on My Fair Lady) but you will be sure to know all about it once I do.

Since it was Stefan's birthday today, a present from all us kids was in order. So Fiona, Annelies, Daniel, Reinier, Lenny and I set off to the city before the party tonight to shop for something that would mark 25 years of someone's life. Our final decision was naturally to get him a joke present that he would likely never use but constantly giggle at. Even we thought it was funny yet completely inappropriate and not PG rated. In addition to finding this treasure of a present, we also decorated the common room of Ristonmaa where he was throwing his party. He unknowingly left his supplies in Laura's flat and we easily accessed them and decorated like there's no tomorrow. When Stefan arrived, I even gave him a tour of our brilliant decor. To say he was surprised that we had done all this in a short hour would be an understatement. The festivities continued into the night and I thought it would be a good time to go home when there were more strangers than invited guests at the party.

Im not sure how I feel about my fast-approaching birthday. I feel so old seasoned. Im one of the youngest out of all the exchange students and I want to keep it that way. Exiting the teens is going to mean that I'll be able to get away with less :(

Stefan and all the ladies - best present ever

waiting for the guest of honor to arrive



celebrating on a decorating job well done

doing the macarena

stefan and his hat

No comments:

Post a Comment