Sunday, October 24, 2010

Monday October 18 - Taste of multiculturalism continues

To continue the trend from last night, I decided to host a dinner at my well-furnished apartment. Inspired by Daniel's Bavarian food, I tried to make my dinner with a Russian flourish. It was oh-so-convenient that a guest by the name of Ivan Bouchouev arrived from Canada. I was very happy to see someone from Edmonton (Maja being the first) and even happier to have a co-chef for tonight.

Ivan and I decided to cook a julienne style mushroom sauce with potatoes and kolbasa. Yes, I am fully aware  that julienne is actually a French dish but it is extremely popular in Russia so it was still completely valid. While shopping for the groceries we also ran into a meat that resembled holodets so we added it as well to our menu for tonight. The cooking procedure went smoothly and we produced a delectable meal that everyone enjoyed (or did a really good job covering up their dislike). 

After eating the main meal and the ice cream cake that the girls brought, we decided to shake up our stomach contents by listening to the Dutch and Finnish versions of  "Head and shoulders, knees and toes" song as well as the chicken dance. It was a great exercise session.

I've never used so many of mine and my roommate's dishes. pots, pans, cups and cutlery all at once. As lovely as the evening was, I did not look forward to cleaning up our mess in the morning and with due cause. Read on to the next entry ....



Meeting the crew at lunchtime

Laura, me and Antti (us english speakers call him Andy)

Do you see that sun?! how it illuminates our food :)

Cooking kolbasa

Our German,/Finnish/ Belgian/ Canadian mix eating a Russian meal

Eating Turkish style

The girls 

The boys


No comments:

Post a Comment