Although this is my second out of a minimum of three times that I'll be in Helsinki, I'm still in the process of discovering new places. It seems that even though I'm visiting the same city, the experience differs depending on the crowd I'm with. To get a more factual breakdown of Helsinki click
here.
My day started bright and early at 8 am when my overly cheery alarm sounded. Ivan and I caught the 10 am train to Helsinki which stopped at Tampere and we were to change to a different train that would take us the rest of the way. Seeing as our first train arrived late, we missed our designated train and were forced to spend 40 minutes waiting in Tampere. Luckily for us, I knew my way around the streets closest to the train station and we had some kebab before embarking on the rest of our journey.
Despite our delay with the train business, we made good time in Helsinki and saw many sights (the majority of which I didn't get to see last time I was in the city) before my 8 pm train. To start, we dropped off Ivan's bags in his hostel which was a very nice one. I still like the one I stayed at Tallinn better but I'm just biased ;) The rooms were small and cozy with 4 bunk beds and the common room looked very Hogwarts-ish. The fireplace and the view out the window gave it a very warm and relaxing feel.
But we had no time to relax so we zoomed off to see the Russian church, the Cathedral of Finland and everything across, sideways and in between. Unfortunately since it was after 4, most places were closed but we got a very nice external view through the mist and occasional rain. I was quite thankful for our supper break at an all-you-can eat soup, salad and pizza buffet. They had the most amazing pizza. I fear to be quite disappointed when I go back to edmonton, sorry Pizza Hut but you have nothing on european pizzerias.
Despite the fact that I only spent a little over 5 hours in the city, I was tired as ever on my train and felt quite content with the amount of things that I had seen. Happy travels in the rest of Europe and Russia, Ivan ! In the meantime, I snoozed on the train ... Zzzzz
 |
| Rainy Helsinki |
 |
| Fireplace at Ivan's hostel |
 |
| Karelian pastry and me - self-explanatory |
 |
| one of many neo-classicism buildings |
 |
| cathedral that is likely in alexander II's name |
 |
| "ouch, our heads from holding up this balcony." |
 |
| Lovely european street |
 |
| im so small, this church was really impressive with it's size and gothic architecture |
 |
| firehall |
 |
| monument dedicated to ... ALEXANDER II. that guy was popular. |
 |
| There were much more people in this market square last time I was here. The rain scares even the Finns away. |
 |
| FANTOMAS car!!! I know where he's hiding - in Finland! |
 |
| Cathedral of Finland hiding in the background |
 |
| let's join hands |
 |
| the life of a student - sad but true |
 |
| kebab pizza <3 |
 |
| Kamppi shopping mall - biggest one in Helsinki but still no match for WEM ;) |
 |
| night view |
 |
| Cool african motif cafe |
No comments:
Post a Comment