Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday September 26 - Helsinki once more

No matter how great my descriptive skills have been thus far, I cannot possibly recreate my experience couch surfing last night. You'll just have to experience it for yourself sometime.
We stayed with a guy named Matti. He was an interesting fellow - very bohemian and very grounded meaning he liked to sleep on a yoga mat and eat on the floor. It was definitely eye-opening to bump into a totally different lifestyle than my own. He was very hospitable for the one night that we stayed with him.
Today was another day spent in Helsinki, city of stone men and well organized public transport.
At first we hit up the last points in the inner city that we didn't get a chance to visit on Friday. We also met up with Vera, a Chinese Austrian girl who travelled to Turku with this same crew earlier this month. I think coffee is one of the most overpriced things in Finland but it's very needed after as much traveling as we'd done.
After visiting the stone church , we met up with Stefan's friend Ingrid. He suggested that we visit Suomellina/Sveaborg which is an island with a fortress on it. Best suggestion ever! It was a beautiful island with the most interesting castles and stone constructions on it. It was almost like a maze. We even missed our designated ferry because we wanted to go all the way to the King's Gates which ended up being the smallest doorway that looked like nothing special but the walk was nice and we ended up seeing a HUGE cruise ship and SOSed them. I don't think they saw us.
To follow up this excellent stroll, we went to an all-you-can-eat kebab place. Can you say delicious? I'm starting to become a huge kebab fan as a result of my time here in evropa.
Our train ride home was fun, we all reflected on excellent times. I was quite anxious to get home however and since I left my bike at my flat, I had to walk home. I took a wrong shortcut in the dark and ended up extending my trip. My bed was so so welcome after two nights of absence from it.

Result of first weekend trip : A hunger for more traveling and seeing new things :)
Stone Church

"Russian way of firing a cannon." - reinier

Natural History Museum

The gulls came quite close on our ferry ride to Suomellina

Coffee with Vera






On Suomellina

Climbing the walls

I never miss a photo opportunity

The island had the greatest landscape

let's hope you're never on this end of the cannon again

group shot!

Fiona and I


No comments:

Post a Comment