Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Wednesday September 22 - The orientation that came too late

I don't say "came too late" as a bad thing for myself. I have already had 3 outings with my Family Friendship Programme host, Tanja. I meant that it came too late for other students who just met their host families tonight.
The program for the evening was splendid. The number one young Finnish dance couple (they were TWELVE years old) performed some ballroom dances for us including but not limited to: the paso doble, samba, rumba, salsa and of course the jive. Watching them dance made me really miss my dance lessons back at the U of A. I can't wait to start again in winter semester!

Next up was an exchange student from St. Petersburg (yeah russia! :)) who played 3 beautiful numbers on the piano. His playing literally sent goosebumps up my back, it was so magical. I congratulated him afterwards on a fantastic performance. By the time the accordion player's turn rolled around, everyone's focus had shifted from the performances to their new acquaintances and the food that had been brought out. While the pianist could hold his audience, the accordion player was not so fortunate. I felt very bad for him when he had to play over people's chatter.

I tried a roll that had cream cheese and reindeer meat tonight. YUM. Well actually I had two because Lucy took one but couldn't eat it after she found out it had meat in it. I love having vegetarian friends :)

Me and Tanja at the orientation : we were one of the only pairs that  had met before

Tanja with her really cool Nokia phone. Did you know that Nokia is actually a Finnish company? I sure didn't.

The Young dancers

No comments:

Post a Comment