Sunday, September 19, 2010

Friday September 15 - Culturalization galore

So maybe culturulization isn't a real word but it describes my day quite well.
Im really getting into the Finnish lifestyle here. I woke up early enough to bike with Mimmi to campus and realizing that I have a whole 40 minutes before class. At 9.20 AM, I took a 5 km walk around the portion of the lake that Mattilianemi Campus was situated on. As I passed change rooms on the shore of the lake, I thought longingly of warm weather and swimming.
I felt great after my brisk walk as I sat down in my "Perspectives to Finnish Society" class. After listening to the introduction and description of the course, I thought to myself that this is the perfect course for exchange students. It covers everything from Finnish politics to modern technology and communication in Finland to the role of working women in Finland. Needless to say, I'll be able to write even more about my experience as I'll be able to understand it better :)
Our first lecture was an introductory one to Finland's place in the world. I learned possibly more about this country than I have in all of my grade school years. yikes. perhaps education quality is better here. Lucy, Anna (from Czech republic), Nicke (from Lithuania) and I went to lunch after our lecture and had an engaging conversation about our different post-secondary education systems in all of our home countries. Needless to say, North America is the most expensive continent to study on. My jaw literally dropped when I heard that Lucy pays 24, 000 AMERICAN DOLLARS each year for her schooling. Since she is in a state university, this sum is actually low compared to other more prestigious schools. On the other hand(and the other side of the world), European countries either pay their students to be in school or subsidize the schooling to the point that the price a student pays per semester is really not all that big. For example, in Finland students are paid 400 Euros a month to be in school and take as many courses as they'd like. In Germany, students pay only around 100 Euros for all of their tuition and receive an unlimited access bus pass (at least in Kiel where the source of the information is from). I think North America needs to make some reforms to its education system. The rest of the world seems to have done that already.
On a lighter note, Lucy and I visited the Craft Museum of Finland and National Costume Center.
I know that everything is smaller in Europe but if this museum holds such a name as "National" and "of Finland," I really did expect more than just 4 exhibits. Albeit, I went on a Friday night when almost all museums are free so I really shouldn't be complaining. I've learned to complain about very little since being here.
The woodwork/craft exhibit really blew my mind. I respected all sorts of craftsmanship before but after trying to make a wooden spoon this summer, I was really impressed by the detail and skill level of the spoons that I saw at the museum. Good thing my spoon wasn't on display.
After self-educating our selves about the medieval/ ice age traditions of the Finns, we decided to reward ourselves by going to Pizzeria Maria. The owner, Veli, sat down to chat with us and bought us a round of ciders. It really is quite nice to know the owner of one of the best restaurants in town.

A great walking spot by campus

My friend the duck

My feet and fallen leaves

At the Museum - very finnish and also very russian


Costumes and me

Impressive woodwork






No comments:

Post a Comment