Sunday, September 12, 2010

Monday September 6 - Day 3 of 3 of Orientation

Some very cute pastries in a coffee shop

Sadly, today is my last day of orientation. I have liked the interaction with the other exchange students very much  and will miss seeing all of them. The ESN organizes quite a lot of events, such as the sauna experience and all of the student trips so there will be other opportunities to reconnect with the international crowd.
One of the speakers talked about culture shock today. It is an extremely relevant topic, I agree with that much but she also made it sound like the was a formula for getting over it. Everybody is different and is affected by being abroad in different ways. What may work for one person, will not be beneficiary for his/her neighbor. I daydreamed a little bit during her presentation. The speaker asked the audience what can help getting over culture shock and one girl replied "Do something that is familiar to you, like go to a local McDonalds." I inwardly laughed at this. Apparently, there is a recipe for getting over culture shock.
After having lunch with our group, Annelies and I went shopping in city center. I had to exchange my failed attempt curtains and lightbulbs for the correct ones. After our shopping adventures, we chatted over a cup of coffee.
My evening was a very low-key one. I simply set up my curtains and lamp, double checked my courses (hopefully all of the ones I chose are taught in english). Seeing as it was quite a beautiful evening, I decided to explore my neighborhood on foot before it got too dark. It's very scenic and the perfect city to go for walks in. Too bad I don't have a dog with me here.
Just an idea of how many people ride their bikes here


Annelies and I having coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment